Saturday, July 11, 2009

Frankenstein Review


Dear Reader, 7/10/09

I enjoy science fiction books because, when reading them, they let you escape from reality and take you to a place where anything is possible. That’s exactly how I felt when I read the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelly.

Out of desire to create a “perfect human” a scientist named Dr. Frankenstein created a human out of used human parts. After he was created the monster tried many times to become accepted by humans but was rejected because of his terrible appearance. The monster soon became angry at his creator and killed Dr. Frankenstein’s son. Dr. Frankenstein figured the monster had done it when he saw the monster near the place where his son was killed. The monster demanded that Dr. Frankenstein would create a female monster so he could be happy. He agreed, but half way through he decided to stop to avoid further damage to society. He soon felt like his existence was causing many people to die because of what he created. Figuring he too was going to be killed Dr. Frankenstein married his cousin to feel needed but soon she too was killed.

When Dr. Frankenstein walked past the graves of all the people the monster had killed he realized how vicious the monster had become and devoted the rest of his life to kill him. He followed the monster through Europe and the North Pole. His chase was ended when he got stuck on a floating iceberg. His life was saved only because he was found by a ship that got lost at sea. When Dr. Frankenstein died the monster came out from hiding and begged for forgiveness from the seamen of the ship. They wanted to kill him for what he had done so the monster fled the boat, never to be seen again.

A quote that was important to the story was: “I thought with a sensation of madness on my promise of creating another like to him, and trembling with passion, tore to pieces the thing on which I was engaged,” Said Dr. Frankenstein. This quote is important to the story because if Dr. Frankenstein did not tear up the female monster he was creating the monster would not have killed Dr. Frankenstein’s family. Because the monster killed his family, Dr. Frankenstein chased the monster through Europe and the North Pole. Dr. Frankenstein later died because of exertion from his chase.

I rate this book a 9 out of 10 because I love how the book was written with humor and sadness. It was often funny when everyone said how hideous and ugly the monster was. The book was sad in the end when Dr. Frankenstein wanted more than anything for the monster that had killed everyone he loved to be dead. I took away one point because I thought the book was sometimes hard to follow. It was also hard to understand why Dr. Frankenstein wanted to make a human out of human parts. I would recommend this book to everyone who enjoys science fiction books and excitement.


Reviewer (please leave a comment to tell me what you thought about my review)

1 comment:

  1. I applaud you for reading the book. I grew up watching Frankenstein movies but as yet have not read the book. I do know how and why Mary Shelly wrote the book. I learned that in a college lit class. I guess now I really should put this on my list to read. It sound so much better than the different versions of the movie I have seen.

    ReplyDelete